[Sca-cooks] fwd: [MR] BBC: Richard III's Diet and Drinking

Sharon Palmer ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Mon Aug 18 20:09:14 PDT 2014

>On 8/18/2014 5:16 PM, Wanda pease wrote:
>Milk is safe to drink even unpasteurized - if it is drunk in a
>timely fashion. Pasteurization allows milk to be stored for a longer
>period of time. It is very American to think that unpasteurized milk
>is unsafe to drink.
>Richenda

Not really quite true.  It depends on how well the outside of the
cow's teats were cleaned. How clean the milker's hands are. How clean
the milking equipment is... whether a bucket or more modern
equipment. Whether the cow was infected with anything. When you take
milk from many cows and mix it together, like modern practise, if any
one of those cows was contaminated, then it all is.  Fresh
unpasteurized milk from healthy cows is *probably* safe, but not
absolutely.

I grew up around dairy farms, and they pasteurized their own milk
before they drank it, even though it was mere hours from the cow.
When I was a kid, I sometimes took the pail from the pasteurizer down
to the milk house to fill it.  The milk was heated to the right temp,
then put in a sink of cold water to cool down.
Ranvaig