[Sca-cooks] fwd: [MR] BBC: Richard III's Diet and Drinking

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Mon Aug 18 20:38:27 PDT 2014

IIRC, the estimated daily beverage intake (derived from a number of
contemporary and later records from various locales in France and England)
was a gallon of ale (or beer) or two quarts of wine.  It is worth noting
that the alcohol content of the daily tipple was generally lower than today
due to the wider use of small beer and the watering of wine.

Hopping, which may be dated to 822 (and possibly earlier) in Carolingian
France (there is some disagreement between sources as to the first reference
to hops in brewing), doesn't appear to be common practice until the 13th or
14th Century in Central Europe.  Hopped beer was imported into England in
the early 15th Century and was likely being brewed there before mid-century.
For Medieval English usage, beer and ale are synonyms.  The differentiation
between ale and beer as unhopped and hopped respectively occurs as a legal
definition in a petition to the Lord Mayor of London in 1483 (date caveat, I
haven't found a copy of the petition yet) by the Worshipful Company of
Brewers (founded in the 13th Century and chartered in 1438).   I suspect
that in common use, beer and ale remained synonyms.

The differentiation of ale and beer as top fermenting and bottom fermenting
derives from the development of bottom fermented, hopped lagers at the end
of the 16th Century.

Bear