[Sca-cooks] Starch was Turkish delight

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Sat Feb 1 17:14:20 PST 2014

The earliest written reference to starch as a noun I've encountered is:

"starche, for kyrcheys"

Galfridus Anglicus, Promptorium parvulorum sive clericorum: dictionarius
anglo-latinus princeps, 1440

Abverb and verb date even earlier.

I happened across a reference to a Diefenbach defining "starkmel" as
"amidum".  I think this may be Lorenz Diefenbach, Comparative Dictionary of
the Gothic Language, 1851.  The reference states it is Early Modern High
German (1350-1650).  "Sterch-chlie" (literally "strong clay") is a Middle
High German (1050 to 1350) reference to starch.  So the idea there was no
word for starch in German in 1553 is in error and "strong flour" is a
literal translation and in error.

Bear