[Sca-cooks] Surviving medieval sauces?

Sharon Palmer ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Mon Feb 17 22:31:01 PST 2014

>True, but they are not made to store up and use over time like mustard (and
>  possibly horseradish). My impression is that they are made in association
>with  preparing a meal.

Rumpolt has direction for making cherry sauce and verjuice that can
be stored for a year.  There is a recipe for eel in pepper sauce that
can be stored.   Also pickled sturgeon, salted mushrooms, salted
cucumbers, and various fruit confects.  On the other hand he doesn't
mention storing mustard or horseradish.

And in case anyone needs the reference  Max Rumpolt, Ein New
Kochbuch, 1581, Maintz.
http://diglib.hab.de/wdb.php?dir=drucke/2-3-oec-2f

Ranvaig