[Sca-cooks] Rumpolt's eel and mushroom recipes

Sharon Palmer ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Thu Feb 20 20:34:02 PST 2014

>Ranvaig commented:
><<< Rumpolt has direction for making cherry sauce and verjuice that can
>be stored for a year.  There is a recipe for eel in pepper sauce that
>can be stored.   Also pickled sturgeon, salted mushrooms, salted
>cucumbers, and various fruit confects. >>>
>
>So, is it the eel in pepper sauce that can be stored? Or just the
>pepper sauce itself that can be stored?

I think it means that the lampreys are stored in pepper sauce.  There
are two recipes, one with sugar and one with salt and vinegar.  Both
with wine and spices.   Malvasier is a sweet wine.

Neunaugen (Lamprey Eel)

6.  Take the lamprey/ and scald it/ and when it is scalded/ the take
a good Malvasier/ and catch the blood in it from the lamprey/ open it
on the belly/ and take the roe out/ throw it away/ grate pepper cake
into the lamprey/ put tarragon in it/ and let a strong boil open with
it/
pull it out and clean it/ strain the pepper (sauce)/ mix with
cinnamon/ cloves and pepper/ let boil again/ and if it is too little
sweet/ then make it even sweeter/ then you can keep it a year and a
day/ you might eat it cold/ or warmed again/ then it is good and well
tasting.

7. Take lampreys/ that are scalded/ wash it clean/ and set it to (the
fire) in a water and wine/ with pepper and salt/ let simmer
completely to the place (until completely done)/ move it out onto a
board/ and let them become cold/ put them in a cask (small barrel)/
and lay between bay leaves/ pour cold wine vinegar over it/ and close
the cask/ then you let it lay a half year or longer/ and eat from it
when you want.

>Does the "salted mushrooms" recipe end up with dried mushrooms in
>salt? Or pickled mushrooms?

190. Take redling mushrooms/ salt them down (saltz sie eyn) with
juniper/ and with caraway/ weight them down with stones/ because they
give much broth/ pour a part of the broth away/ and leave stay/ like
this they keep themselves for a year and a day.

And when you will prepare them/ be it to cook or to roast/ then take
them out/ and wash off/ leave an hour or two in the water/ like this
it pulls the salt out/ they become nicely fresh/ as when one had
first picked them/ so you might take them to bake or in a sauce/ or
you might fricassee them in butter/ and well peppered/ with green
herbs/ like this they are also not bad.

Ranvaig