[Sca-cooks] souring agents

David Walddon david at vastrepast.com
Mon Feb 24 19:44:25 PST 2014

Why do you say that balsamic is post period?
There is a manuscript painting (one of the Humorals) that seems to indicate differently (visually not written).
It has a small barrel being placed in the attic of a building, exactly as balsamic is produced.
I certainly agree that we have yet to find written evidence of balsamic but I think that this might be just a matter of time and the right source!
Saba/Sapa production was certainly in full swing in Italy by the Renaissance and it is only a small step from there.

Eduardo