[Sca-cooks] Arugula/Rocket/Eruca?

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Tue Feb 25 07:30:12 PST 2014

Searching in medievalcookery.com under rocket=

A NEVV BOOKE of Cookerie
(England, 1615)
The original source can be found at Thomas Gloning's website

Diuers Sallets boyled. PArboyle Spinage, and chop it fine, with the edges of two hard Trenchers vpon a boord, or the backe of two chopping Kniues: then set them on a Chafingdish of coales with Butter and Uinegar. Season it with Sinamon, Ginger, Sugar, and a few parboyld Currins. Then cut hard Egges into quarters to garnish it withall, and serue it vpon sippets. So may you serue Burrage, Buglosse, Endiffe, Suckory, Coleflowers, Sorrel, Marigold leaues, water Cresses, Leekes boyled,Onions, Sparragus, Rocket, Alexanders. Parboyle them, and season them all alike: whether it be with Oyle and Uinegar, or Butter and Uinegar, Sinamon, Ginger,Sugar, and Butter: Egges are necessary, or at least very good for all boyld Sallets.

This is an excerpt from Libro di cucina / Libro per cuoco
(Italy, 14th/15th c. - Louise Smithson, trans.)
The original source can be found at Louise Smithson's website

LXXXIII - Relish of rue or of rocket. Take the seeds of the rocket and skin and cooked eggs and sugar and ginger and nutmeg and ginger and mix everything together and temper with good vinegar and it is good with every meat excellent.

Johnnae