[Sca-cooks] Hieatt's The Culinary Recipes of Medieval England

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Tue Jan 7 17:51:00 PST 2014

I have in hand the new Hieatt volume.

Constance B. Hieatt, compiler and translator
The Culinary Recipes of Medieval England
Prospect Books, 2013.
215 pages.

Subtitled: "An Epitome of recipes from extant medieval English culinary manuscripts."

As many already know, Professor Emeritus CB Hieatt died before this work was fully assembled.
Hieatt's sister at her request saw it into publication; co-author of the second edition of Pleyn Delit,
Brenda Hosington along with others helped with some of the work as well.

Starting with the Concordance of English Recipes, and continuing with her last works
A Gathering of Medieval Recipes and Cocatrice and Lampray Hay,
Hieatt worked on extending and indexing the medieval culinary canon of English recipes.

The Culinary Recipes of Medieval England
(TCRoME)  is a "best of" or "perfect example" volume. We have this canon of recipes and dishes, so suppose
we go through and choose the best or most representative recipe, in other words "the Epitome," for each dish.
And we then arrange them into categories like: Basic preparations; Meatless pottages; Pottages with
grains, vegetables or fruit; Meat and fish pottages; Special types of pottages; Meat; Game; Poultry;
Fish; Sauces & condiments; Baked dishes; Fritters and fried dishes; Subtleties and drinks; and lastly,
Wafers and Confections. Bibliography and index are included.

The recipes offered here cover these basics. Every recipe needed for a medieval English feast from
the original canon, offered up in modern English. No menus or glossary; for those you will need to look elsewhere.
Also no modernized recipes.
The chosen recipes end with the source manuscript designated in an abbreviated form, e.g. (DS, 81) or (H4016, 3).
[I would have added a date here, but that is a minor quibble.] If you need the original recipe in Middle English, you use
the designation and locate the original manuscript through the bibliography.

All in all a very nice volume and one well worth owning if you are into the medieval recipes of England or if you like and admire the work
of Constance Hieatt.

> Description here
> https://prospectbooks.co.uk/books/978-1-909248-30-4
>
> Johnnae