[Sca-cooks] Translations from "Regalo de la vida humana"

Robin Carroll-Mann rcarrollmann at gmail.com
Tue Jan 21 14:56:33 PST 2014

Two years ago, I posted here about a "new" source of period Spanish
recipes.  "Regalo de la vida humana" (Gift of human life) was written in
the mid-16th century by Juan Vallés, Treasurer of the Kingdom of Navarre in
northern Spain.  It was never published, and for many years the only copy
was held by the National Library of Austria.  A facsimile was given to the
regional government of Navarre, and in 2009, it was published as a 2-volume
set: one, a facsimile, and the other, a transcription with notes by
Fernando Serrano Larráyoz.

There are 7 "books" contain recipes and instructions for medicine,
cosmetics, perfumes, essential oils, preserves, confections, and assorted
foods from salads to sausages.

I have finally gotten around to translating some of the recipes and will be
posting them here.  I'll be jumping around, but will mostly concentrate on
Book 6, which has assorted food recipes.  I will provide the recipe
numbers, as many of the recipe titles are identical ("Another good ___")

Brighid ni Chiarain