[Sca-cooks] Making Early Medieval food

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Sun Jan 26 15:07:23 PST 2014

along in this vein… Might I suggest acquiring a copies of

An Early Meal – a Viking Age Cookbook & Culinary Odyssey - $45
Daniel Serra & Hanna Tunberg. From festive meals to mundane travelers’ fare, this book offers a journey across the Viking Age world in search of the food that may have been eaten in Scandinavia 1000 years ago. Based on archeological finds and experimental archeology, this book gives you mouth-watering recipes, and new insights into Viking Age cuisine. Recipes represent seven different regions, from Lofoten in the north of Jorvik in the south. Hardcover, 192 pp, 80 illus and color photos, 44 recipes, bibliog. ChronoCopia Publications.

Slightly interesting but still worthwhile…

From Stone Age to Viking: a culinary voyage through time - $38.95
Sabine Karg. Fancy a Bronze Age beer, Stone Age sour dough or some Mesolithic eel and oyster soup? Thanks to a team of Danish archaeologists, we can make ancient dishes ourselves. Sabine Karg, Regula Steinhauser-Zimmermann and Irmgard Bauer have recreated our ancestors’ eating habits by examining prehistoric cooking remains and the recipe book that followed, A Culinary Journey Through Time, is now available in English. Karg, who has conducted excavation work in Jordan, Turkey and northern Europe for more than 25 years, says of her own dinner parties: ‘I often serve my friends moretum  [a herb cheese spread made by  ancient Romans], poppy seed rolls and walnut pesto.’The team of archaeologists divided our ancient eating habits into Middle Stone Age (dating to 9000BC), New Stone Age, Bronze Age, Iron Age, Roman times, Middle Ages and Modern Age.  Tr Pb, Communicating Cultures

Devra has copies for sale so you don't need to import them yourself.

http://www.poisonpenpress.com/cookery.html

Johnnae