[Sca-cooks] Daube/ Duba?

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Tue Jan 28 17:06:10 PST 2014

I can't get to my copies of La Varenne but he includes daube recipes.

Flandrin, for example, in Arranging the Meal talks about five braised meats in the original French Le Cuisinier Francois (1651) including
"membre de mouton a la daube," "poulet d'Inde a la daube," "piece de boeuf a la daube," "cochon a la doube,"
and "oye a la daube." page 181

These  appeared in the printed English translation of 1653 which was titled The French Cook. Time for EEBO.

There we find
Ioynt of mutton after the Daube and Turkie after the Daube and Peece of beefe after the Daub plus Pigge after the Daub and Geese after the Daub.
Here are two of the recipes

Joint of Mutton after the Daube.

Lard it well with great lard, then put it in the pot, and season it well; when it is almost sod, put to it some white wine propor∣tionably, and make an end of seething of it with fine herbs, lemon or orange peele, but very little, by reason of their bitternesse; when you will serve it, garnish the brims of the dish with parsley, and with flowers.

Pigge after the Daube.

After it is well dressed, cut it into five parts, then passe on it a little of great lard, and put it with broth, white wine, fine herbs, onion, and being well seasoned with salt, and other ingredients, serve with parsley about the dish.The short sauce remains with it into a gelee to serve cold; you may put to it some Saffron if you will.

---
OED is wrong of course. The earliest mention in English would not be 1723 but these mentions in 1653 perhaps.

Johnnae