[Sca-cooks] Daube/ Duba?

JIMCHEVAL at aol.com JIMCHEVAL at aol.com
Tue Jan 28 18:14:25 PST 2014

The TLF traces the French word back to a fifteenth century use of the
Spanish word "adobar" to mean "marinate":

http://atilf.atilf.fr/dendien/scripts/tlfiv5/advanced.exe?8;s=4244783550;

For a dish, the defining meaning seems to be marinating, though in La
Varenne this is reduced to adding white wine in a number of cases.

But this nineteenth century work relates "adouber" and "duba" ("daube",
modern German)

http://books.google.com/books?id=8YACAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA6&dq=duba+daube&hl=en&sa=
X&ei=hlvoUrC8HoLDoATFz4HgDg&ved=0CNEFEOgBMFw#v=onepage&q=duba%20daube&f=fals

all around the idea of "strike", which is one meaning Cotgrave gives it in
French just before La Varenne's time:
http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/cotgrave/search/271l.html

The same nineteenth century work relates it to the English word "dab" and
says that to make a daube, 'the meat must be struck" (which I think is
stretching a point).

http://books.google.com/books?id=8YACAAAAQAAJ&dq=duba%20daube&pg=PA84#v=onep
age&q&f=false

Intuitively, I must admit I've always associated "daube" with the idea of a
 dish where one dips - dabs - bread in the sauce.

Richelet's 1694 dictionary brings in a completely different slant, saying
that the dish is flavored in a way meant to stir the appetite. Since he then
 defines the general word as bad-mouthing or mocking someone, one could see
the  origin here in a general idea of provocation (appetite or ire). But
this seems  uncommon as an approach.

http://books.google.com/books?id=h37gKrNU4bMC&pg=PA209&dq=intitle:dictionnai
re+daube&hl=en&sa=X&ei=H2PoUs2kMM7xoATQ0YLwBA&ved=0CDUQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q&f=
false

Jim  Chevallier
 (http://www.chezjim.com/) www.chezjim.com

"Making Early Medieval food"
http://leslefts.blogspot.com/2014/01/making-early-medieval-food.html

In a message dated 1/28/2014 3:59:45 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,