[Sca-cooks] Cut-Off Date for Cookery Books?

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Wed Jan 29 06:08:21 PST 2014

While a source text may have a date of publication, the contents of that
text actually predate the publication date.  In the case of a cookbook, the
real question is when were the recipes created.  A case in point is Martha
Washington's cookbook, an 18th Century text, where the oldest identifiable
recipe in the collection dates to the mid-16th Century (if I remember Hess's
commentary correctly), suggesting that the book is a generationally iterated
collection of recipes accreting new recipes with each iteration.

The biography of the author might represent a better determination of
"period" than the date of publication.  Markham and Murrell were
Elizabetheans, who gained their skills prior to 1600.  Digby and May did
not.

I am less sanguine on the post-1650 recipe mentioned in a pre-1600 context,
unless there is evidence supporting a lack of change.  Recipes evolve.
While I have used a later dated recipe to fill in for a "period" dish, I try
to document the facts as I know them and let others form their opinion.

Bear