[Sca-cooks] "Risen Sweet"

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Wed Jul 2 16:47:27 PDT 2014

The beginning sounds like the hulwa recipe from Ibn al-Mabrad, honey
variant. What it produces is referred to there as natif. The sugar
version is crunchy, but I've never succeeded in boiling the honey down
enough to make that version crunchy.

On 7/2/14, 3:59 PM, lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:
> I have broken the recipe into additional paragraphs so that it's use with a previous recipe for Khabis is clearer.
>
> 184. Risen Sweet
>
> (making the nougat)
> Boil good honey on a moderate fire, and when it melts, strain it in a woollen kerchief, then return to the pot and stir with a brass rod having a thick end so that it does not burn. If the honey is from the comb, take the whites of six eggs, and if not from the comb the whites of ten, and beat by hand without the yolks until the foam rises from them. Let the honey cool well and throw onto it, then return to the fire and stir with the rod unceasingly until it whitens well.
>
> (prepping the Khabis and adding the nougat)
> Then take the pot off the fire and put a big frying pan or an appointed pot [viz. another pot] on the fire and fill with fresh oil so that it warms well. Then throw khabis in it, then take it out quickly with a slotted spoon. And if the leaves of the khabis are whole, throw in leaf after leaf and take them out. Put on a board to cool, and when cool, break up fine, then throw onto the honey, [p. 29 recto] thickened, and mix with it, and the amount of what is thrown in per kail of honey is two ratls of khabis.
> Leave it until it thickens and cools, and clarify it, and use it, God willing.
>
> (nougat variation with sesame seeds)
> And also, you can peel sesame and toast it a little and put it in place of the khabis and thicken the honey with the whites of twenty or more eggs, God willing.
>

> And Johnna wrote:
>> Well wouldn't you start with the recipe for "The Making of Khabis"? It's six
>> recipes farther along in the text. Make that recipe and then proceed with what
>> looks like a honey/egg white cooked nougat. The variation is to use sesame seeds > and not the Kkabis.
> Indeed, Johnna is right. This is a different "filling" for Khabis, and not a stand-alone recipe.
>
> By the way, brittle made with sesame seeds is called in English 'sesame brittle' - after all, no peanuts are called for in this recipe, and were unknown at this time anyway, so it couldn't be peanut brittle.
>
> Further, it seems to me this recipe does not call for the honey-egg white mix to be brittle, just firm.
>
> So make the Khabis recipe and use the honey nougat in this recipe as called for. You've been skipping quite a bit of the recipe, so it's no surprise something seems amiss with your interpretation.
>
> Urtatim
> Using an ancient iPad in Bali
> So please excuse any formatting awkwardness

David Friedman
www.daviddfriedman.com
http://daviddfriedman.blogspot.com/