[Sca-cooks] Fenugreek

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Wed Jul 9 00:44:35 PDT 2014

According to al-Warraq, Fenugreek "is hot and causes bloating and
headaches."

Be warned.

The only recipe he gives using it is a medicinal recommended for asthma,
labored breathing, and coughs.

According to the notes, Ibn al-Baytar says that "The fresh herb ... used
to cure back complaints, kidney ailments, and pain caused by a cold
womb. It is also believed to increase blood."

On 7/7/14, 8:58 PM, Wanda Pease wrote:
> Some 30 years ago I bought some Fenugreek for use in a forgotten recipe.  About a third of the bottle came with me from Germany to South Carolina to Oregon to my spice/herb collection.   On a wild moment of madness I decided to check dates and replace or toss old stuff.
>
> The seeds sat there looking ancient and harmless so I filled the bottle up with water and let it stand for a few days before throwing it on some newly weeded ground.
>
> Now I have many little fenugreek seedlings and no idea what you use it for!
>
> Ideas?
>
> Regina Romsey

David Friedman
www.daviddfriedman.com