[Sca-cooks] Shifts in fasting in medieval France

JIMCHEVAL at aol.com JIMCHEVAL at aol.com
Sat Jul 12 12:54:55 PDT 2014

I've mentioned in the past that fasting in medieval France was very
complicated. I've finally had a chance to outline some of what made it so in a
blog post:

http://leslefts.blogspot.com/2014/07/shifts-in-fasting-in-medieval-france.ht
ml

based largely on the work of Le Grand d'Aussy, Father Thomassin and records
 of various Church councils.

Digging deeper in fact, it seems like it has never NOT been complicated -
even today, fasts and abstinence are not what they were at the end of the
Old  Regime. And so my post, wide-ranging though it is, only brushes the
surface of a  complex subject.

Jim  Chevallier
_www.chezjim.com_ (http://www.chezjim.com/)

(http://leslefts.blogspot.com/2014/04/beyond-wine-water-and-beer-what-else.html)