[Sca-cooks] Lamb vs. Fowl in recipes, was Re: Any favorite lamb recipes?

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 1 10:52:01 PDT 2014

A question:  I see in the Miscellany that the Barmakiya recipe does
specify lamb along with the various poultry options.  Was this common?
"Fat meat" is usually assumed to be mutton, but is that obligatory?  I
have been justifying Fesanjan at SCA events [yes, it is a modern
favorite, but I keep getting requests]  with the following:

NARSUN, from THE DESCRIPTION OF FAMILIAR FOODS [Kitab wasf al-at'ima
al-mu'tada) translated by Charles Perry.

"This is a Persian name, and its root is /anasirk,/ which means
pomegranate and vinegar.The recipe of this dish is that you cut up fat
meat small and put it in the pot with water to cover, and you put the
spices on it and moderate the salt and skim it.Cut up a small amount of
onions and wash them and put in the pot.When it is nearly done, take
pomegranate seeds, as much as needed and what the pot will bear, and
pound them fine.Throw vinegar on them and macerate them well by hand,
then strain them and add [the juice] to the pot.Take walnuts meats also,
as much as needed, and pound them fine.Put as much water as needed in a
pot and macerate [the walnuts] well and add them to the pot [where the
meat is].Moderate its taste [with salt] as desired, and crumble bunches
of dry mint onto its surface.Throw in whole pieces of walnut meats, and
sprinkle a little rose-water on top of it.Wipe the sides of the pot with
a clean cloth and leave it on a quiet fire, and then take up."

Cheers,
Selene Colfox