[Sca-cooks] Cod Imports to London

Sam Wallace guillaumedep at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 09:49:22 PDT 2014

I thought I would share an article I found concerning the increasing
prevalence of cod imports going to London. The methodology was to date
vertebrae and skulls and compare the frequency of each with the assumption
that head bones were removed for preservation during long-range transport.
They concluded that there was a "sudden switch 'from heads to tails' during
the early 13th century..., a temporary drop in imports in the late 14th
century..., plus a further surge in imports from around AD1500...." The
paper says they confirmed this with biochemical signatures.

Cod bones reveal 13th Century origin of global fish trade
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/news/news-articles/0514/280514-cod-bones-fish-trade-london

I will have to buy some salt cod and use it in something, now.

Guillaume