[Sca-cooks] honey, an early antiseptic for Henry V of England

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Wed Jun 4 13:18:56 PDT 2014

Honey has some mild antiseptic properties but it also will form an air tight
cover keeping out bacteria.  Flax is also an antimicrobial while barley and
flour are probably being used to stabilize and solidify the ointment.  You
should check out Ambrosius Pare and Paracelsus for changes in how wounds
were treated in the Renaissance.

Bear