[Sca-cooks] Redaction exercise

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Mar 7 17:23:37 PST 2014

<<< 136 A bread tart. Take white bread and grate it, take cream, stir it
together, so that it becomes thick like a pudding. Take six egg yolks,
beat them well and with spices thereon, put everything together in a
pastry shell, and bake it like other tarts. [Das Kuchbuch der Sabina
Welserin (Germany, 16th century - V. Armstrong, trans.)]

- DM >>>

I've got a lot of tart recipes that we've discussed here over the years, but I don't remember this one. I stopped updating my tart-msg file because I was getting so many.

When you are looking for info, what is your dividing line between a "pie" and a "tart"? How would you break up a large tart-msg file into multiple files?

This recipe sounds easy enough, but I'm always more comfortable using a redaction for my first attempt at a recipe.

How much cream would folks use here? I might estimate 1 cup, but it looks easy enough to add as needed to the bread crumbs. But for 6 eggs, how much bread bread crumbs?

I guess that being a tart, you do have a rough idea of how much is needed to fill a pie pan.

What spices would you use for 16th Century Germany?

How long and at what temperature would you bake it?  325 degrees F?

Thanks,
  Stefan
--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com