[Sca-cooks] April 4 Medieval Pastry Lecture

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Thu Mar 13 19:19:08 PDT 2014

The Ohio State University will be hosting Ivan Day, (noted British food
historian, professional chef and confectioner) as part of a lecture
series. It is free and open to the public. The topic is “Flaumpens,
Chewitts and Bakemetes: Pastry as a Sculptural Medium in Late Medieval
and Early Modern Europe”.

https://cmrs.osu.edu/events/feast-and-famine or
http://cmrs.osu.edu/events/lectureseries/Feast%20and%20Famine%20Poster%20color%20background.png

The website is not fully up yet, but this is what was sent by OSU
(thanks to Johnnae's query!):

Our lecture series website will be updated in just a few days with
additional information, including a brief abstract of the talk, but I
can tell you at present that the lecture will be held at 7 p.m. on April
4 in 180 Hagerty Hall (1775 College Road, Columbus, OH, 43210). Public
parking is available just across the street to the east at both the Ohio
Union (student union) garages
(http://ohiounion.osu.edu/visit_the_union/garage_parking) and there
should be handicap parking available for the general public in both
spaces. To make it easier once you cross the street to Hagerty, I would
take the handicap ramp down to the lower level entrance along Hagerty
Drive (map: http://www.osu.edu/map/google.php?buildingIn=037); you'll
then turn left and head to the end of that corridor, where you'll see an
elevator off to the right. Take that up a floor and exit left; you'll
come across a cafe, and room 180 will be just behind the cafe, again to
the left.

If rooms are available, the Blackwell Inn on campus is the closest
option, just a few blocks away. Many of our visitors also stay at the
Hampton Inn just north of the downtown area on High Street, and there
are several other hotels in the vicinity along Olentangy River Road,
just northwest of the campus area.

--
Elise Fleming
alysk at ix.netcom.com