[Sca-cooks] Redaction exercise

TerryDecker t.d.decker at att.net
Sat Mar 8 14:56:36 PST 2014

While your friends believe vanilla was used in Gotland in the 16th Century,
the question I have is, what is the recorded evidence?

Although Columbus was able to obtain some cacao beans in 1502 on his fourth
voyage when he captured a canoe of trade goods, they were not in significant
quantity to make an impression on Spain.  I have yet to find any evidence
that he encountered vanilla.

Vanilla and cacao are both Mexican products and are generally believed to
have been introduced into Spain by Hernan Cortez after his conquest of the
Aztecs in 1519.  While I'm certain small amounts of of both made there way
to Spain for the use of conquistadors who had developed a taste for cocoa,
the first record of a commercial shipment of cacao from Mexico to Spain
occurs in 1585.  There are no records of any vanilla shipments available.
The introduction of cocoa with its accompanying vanilla to the Spanish court
probably occurred in 1544 when Dominican friars brought some of the native
inhabitants of New Spain to court.

Cocoa with vanilla was known to Elizabeth's court, for in 1602 her
physician, Hugh Morgan, suggested that vanilla might be used as a flavoring
in it's own right rather than as an ingredient in cocoa.  He also provided
Clusius with specimens of the vanilla bean, which Clusius formally described
in 1605.  The fact that Clusius, arguably the greatest botanist of the
period, suggests that vanilla was not in extensive use by the Habsburgs
before 1576.  Clusius was the prefect of the Imperial medical gardens under
Maximillian II, son-in-law of Charles V and Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire
from 1564 to 1576.  Charles V (1519) aka Charles I of Spain (1516) was the
King of Spain when cacao and vanilla were brought into Spain.  While I have
no problem with vanilla being introduced into Gotland from Spain by German
traders, I do question that it occurred in the 16th Century.  More likely it
was in the 17th Century as cocoa and coffee served with vanilla came into
wider use.

Linnaeus and his attempt to grow vanilla is immaterial to the early dating
of vanilla in Sweden as he is 18th Century.   He failed because natural
pollination of vanilla is by the Melipone bee which is only found in Mexico.
The pollination problem was resolved by Charles Francios Antoine Morren of
Liege in 1839 and a practical hand pollination method was developed on
Reunion Island in 1841.

Bear