[Sca-cooks] the Melipone bee, vanilla

Wanda Pease wandap at hevanet.com
Mon Mar 10 19:18:28 PDT 2014

According to the series Tudor Monastery Farm they were using the common British or German Black Bee  Apis mellifera mellifera for honey prior to the importation of the Mediterranean golden bee.

Even now the bee keepers of England and Wales are working on bringing back into prominence these old style bees that were once feared extinct.  They give good honey and require less to see them thru the winter.  Work at cross breeding to keep the hardiness of the old strain continues because the Americas aren't the only places where hive collapse is being noted.  Www.bees.me.uk

Wanda
Sent from my iPad