[Sca-cooks] Honey and the New World/Old World food game

Ana Valdés agora158 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 22:36:07 PDT 2014

It seems a wonderful game! So sad I have never experienced personally one
event or a feast where the game was played!!
Ana

On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 1:36 AM, TerryDecker <t.d.decker at att.net> wrote:

> I may also have assorted cans of turkey, chicken and ham. Which lets me
>> point out that most domesticated food animals are Old World. It also helps
>> indicate why the native Americans never developed wheeled transport. It's
>> hard to harness >a turkey. :-)
>>

> The Incans had the concept of the wheel and used it in toys.  Llamas can
> be harnessed to pull carts.  At the moment, the best guess as to why they
> didn't pursue using the wheel is that the terrain and roads were such that
> it was easier to use llamas as pack animals than for pulling carts.
>

>  I usually have a container of tea and one of coffee. Most people will
>> guess correctly on the tea, but only a few are correct on coffee being from
>> the Old World. Then I can explain that neither actually made it to Europe,
>> or at least England, >until 1650.
>>

> Coffee shows up in Italy in the last quarter of the 16th Century, but the
> first coffee house in Italy is in 1645.
>

>  So, I guess I can no longer use honey as it originated in both places.
>> And unlike the beans, I can't have a jar or New World and Old World honey.
>> One, I doubt I can buy the first and second, I bet you can't tell the
>> difference by appearance >between the two.
>>
>> Some discussion of the New World/Old World food game and other people's
>> versions of it, can be found in, I think, the demos-msg file in the
>> Florilegium. I highly recommend it to those participating in demos.
>>
>> Stefan
>>

> Why not?  This is a real trick question because honey is found on every
> continent except Anarctica.  Melipona honey is a commercial product in
> Brazil, so you might be able to find some at a store doing South American
> imports or possibly a health food store.  You might also check
> www.melipona.org .
>
> Bear

http://www.twitter.com/caravia15860606060
http://www.scoop.it/t/art-and-activism/
http://www.scoop.it/t/urbanism-3-0

<http://www.scoop.it/t/postcolonial-mind/>

cell Sweden +4670-3213370
cell Uruguay +598-99470758

your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always
long to return.
-- Leonardo da Vinci