[Sca-cooks] potatoes in Europe in 1567

JIMCHEVAL at aol.com JIMCHEVAL at aol.com
Sat Mar 15 10:06:41 PDT 2014

I'm not sure which you were responding to here,  but my own remark was not
in regard to the Middle Ages. "Pomme de terre" was  used in the seventeenth
century to refer to the Jerusalem artichoke.

Nos  Latins appellent ceste herbe pomme de terre); e) 1655 désigne le
topinambour (N.  DE BONNEFONS, Les délices de la campagne, 2e éd., p.111, d'apr.
R. ARVEILLER ds  Fr. mod. t.18, 1950, p.237: Des taupinambous, pomme de
terre), cf. Trév. 1771,  qui, s.v. pomme, renvoie pour pomme de terre à
topinambour; v. aussi FEW t.20,  p.82b; 2. «tubercule comestible du solanum
tuberosum» [1716 d'apr. BL.-W.1-2]  1750

(TLF doesn't permalink, so this will probably end up  invalid:
http://atilf.atilf.fr/dendien/scripts/tlfiv5/advanced.exe?8;s=2289558555;
otherwise,  search on atilf.atilf.fr)

It turns out, in fact, that *malum terrae*  referred to a variety of
things, going all the way back to Antiquity.

Jim  Chevallier
www.chezjim.com

The lost cheeses of Medieval  France
http://leslefts.blogspot.com/2014/03/old-regime-cheese-1-lost-cheeses-of.htm

In  a message dated 3/15/2014 8:03:11 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
ranvaig at columbus.rr.com writes:
Since Jerusalem artichokes (or sunchokes) are  New World, probably not.
Ranvaig