[Sca-cooks] Farsighted lenses

TerryDecker t.d.decker at att.net
Sun Mar 23 17:06:28 PDT 2014

424 BCE?  That will be a a burning glass mentioned in Aristophanes "The
Cloud."  That makes it a bi-convex lens, probably of glass but possibly of
rock crystal.  The earliest known lens in the Layard lens, Assyrian rock
crystal from roughly 1000 BCE.

A source that I really would like to see on this subject is Vincent Ilardi,
Renaissance Vision from Spectacles to Telescopes from the American
Philosophical Society.

Bear