No subject

Fri May 9 12:02:20 PDT 2014

Georges Edelen

VI. Of Food and Diet of the English

A snippet regards the feasts of merchants:

"To be short, at such times as the merchants do make their ordinary or
voluntary feasts, it is a world to see what provision is made of all manner
of delicate meats from every quarter of the country, wherein, beside that
they are often comparable herein to the nobility of the land, they will
seldom regard anything the butcher usually killeth, but reject the same as
not worthy to come in place.  In such cases geliffes (jellies?) of all
colors, mixed with a variety in the representation of sundry flowers, herbs,
trees, forms of beasts, fish, fowls, and fruits, and thereunto marchpane
wrought with no small curiosity, tarts of divers hues and sundry
denominations, conserves of old fruits, foreign and homebred, suckets,
codiniacs, marmalades, marchpane, sugarbread, gingerbread, florentines, wild
fowl, venison of all sorts, and sundry outlandish confections, altogether
seasoned with sugar (which Pliny callth mel ex arrundinibus, a device not
common nor greatly used in old time at the table but only in medicine,
although it grew in Arabia, India, and Sicily), do generally bear sway,
besides infinite devices of our own not possible for me to remember.   Of
the potato and other venerous roots as are brought out of Spain, Portingale,
and the Indies to furnish up our banquets, I speak not, wherein our mures,
of no less force and to be had about Crosby Ravensworth, do now begin to
have place."