No subject

Fri May 9 12:02:20 PDT 2014

My version:

500g (approx 1lb) ground lamb
a little butter
6 blades mace
12 whole cloves
8 prunes
handful of raisins
juice of 1 orange

Brown the lamb in a pan with the butter.  Grind spices.  Add spices and
fruit, cook a little longer.  Add OJ to taste and stir through just
before serving.

Notes:

I avoided the suet and didn't use much butter, because it was quite
fatty enough.  Adding extra fat would be revolting to almost any modern
person eating it.  Perhaps a leg of mutton minced by hand would be less
fatty than commercial ground lamb?

Although the name of this recipe is "pie meate" there is nothing
particular to suggest it should go into a pie.  I suppose it might be
one of those things that the Elizabethan reader simply would have known.
But I find it to be quite tasty on its own, and I rather like it that
way.

The recipe also says to "boil" or "seeth" the meat with the suet and
butter.  If you have enough fat for this, the dish is revolting, as
mentioned above.  Really.  Trust me on this.

The quantities given above should be about right for 6 people in an SCA
feast situation, I think.

katherine at infotrope.net  http://infotrope.net/sca/