[Sca-cooks] Corn dollies.

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at gmail.com
Sat May 3 19:27:06 PDT 2014

As has been pointed out "corn" in English, just meant the local grain crop. In North America "corn" meant maize. In, say parts of England, "corn" meant wheat. In other parts, barley.

Although I'm most familiar with corn dollies being made in North America and of maize leaves, they probably had a predecessor. Was that just carved wooden dolls? Or perhaps wheat or other grain leaves/waste?

Maize was known in period (a rather uncertain term) in northern Italy and Spain, but only in the later 16th Century.
maize-msg (78K) 8/25/10 Discovery of maize (Indian corn) in the Americas and its introduction to Europe.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BREADS/maize-msg.html

This file in the CHILDREN section of the Florilegium, might be of use in your general search on period dolls.
dolls-msg (25K) 3/ 6/11 Medieval fashion and toy dolls.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/CHILDREN/dolls-msg.html

If you end up writing an article or A&S paper on period dolls in Europe, I would love to consider adding it to the Florilegium. I think there are folks who will be interested in reading it. My standard policy is that you keep the copyright and I will accept updates as yo learn more.

Stefan

--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at gmail.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris