[Sca-cooks] Metal Poisoning from the fork

JIMCHEVAL at aol.com JIMCHEVAL at aol.com
Sun May 11 08:54:33 PDT 2014

The general story has probably been cited long before that. But does
Henisch make the wider claim that Damian used a phrase like "God gave us two
fingers, etc" - which is not in Damian's original at all?

It was that distortion I was tracing back, not Damian's account, which is
an old one. Even if it was first printed in 1976, it would be a relatively
recent invention (in food history terms).

As it is, I think this is an excellent illustration of how bogus ideas get
about in food history. Someone probably paraphrased what they thought
Damian  MEANT (he certainly doesn't say it) and at some point that paraphrase
became a  quote (this is how an early twentieth century idea of Voltaire as
someone who  would disagree with what someone said but defend to the death
their right to say  it became an actual Voltaire "quote"). This (already ersatz)
quote was then  misinterpreted to refer the Church's stance in general and
the next thing you  know people are referring to a general prohibition of
using anything but one's  hands to eat with (blithely ignoring the long use of
knives and spoons).

Anywhere along the line this out-of-control train could have been stopped
by simply going back to prime sources, but that unfortunately is more the
exception than the rule in food history.

Jim  Chevallier
_www.chezjim.com_ (http://www.chezjim.com/)

Beyond Apicius (2):  recipes from other Roman sources
_http://leslefts.blogspot.com/2014/05/beyond-apicius-2-recipes-from-other.ht
ml_
(http://leslefts.blogspot.com/2014/04/beyond-wine-water-and-beer-what-else.html)

In a message dated 5/11/2014 8:02:52 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,