[Sca-cooks] Metal Poisoning from the fork - i.e. acqueduct

JIMCHEVAL at aol.com JIMCHEVAL at aol.com
Mon May 12 16:59:06 PDT 2014

According to the sources Johnnae cited, probably the use of lead lined
vessels in making reduced wine (defrutum) etc. Lead pipes certainly  brought
water from the aqueducts to houses (and surviving pipes often tell us a  great
deal about the neighborhood)

http://leslefts.blogspot.com/2013/08/the-water-highways-of-gaul.html

But  the consensus seems to be the lead wouldn't have had a strong enough
effect to  cause much damage.

This said, I don't know that anyone has clearly  demonstrated that lead had
anything to do at all with the decline of the Empire,  not least because so
much of it was elsewhere. At least one Roman emperor, for  instance, came
from Gaul. My own guess would be that over-extending one's rule  to the point
that one was dependent on former enemies (an awful lot of "Roman"  soldiers
were German, including Clovis' father) would have been more fatal. But  I'm
sure there are whole fields of study which debate the question.

Jim  Chevallier
_www.chezjim.com_ (http://www.chezjim.com/)

Beyond Apicius (2):  recipes from other Roman sources
_http://leslefts.blogspot.com/2014/05/beyond-apicius-2-recipes-from-other.ht
ml_
(http://leslefts.blogspot.com/2014/04/beyond-wine-water-and-beer-what-else.html)

In a message dated 5/12/2014 4:30:16 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,