[Sca-cooks] Food of the Arabian Nights was Odd Question

JIMCHEVAL at aol.com JIMCHEVAL at aol.com
Tue May 13 18:34:41 PDT 2014

And yet the essay itself - freely available here - is far more  nuanced:

_http://books.google.com/books?id=H0iEWo-WJ40C&lpg=PA134&ots=_N06FivTwm&dq=%
22charles%20perry%22%20burton%20Arab&pg=PA134#v=onepage&q&f=false_
(http://books.google.com/books?id=H0iEWo-WJ40C&lpg=PA134&ots=_N06FivTwm&dq="charles%2
0perry"%20burton%20Arab&pg=PA134#v=onepage&q&f=false)

He highlights ONE out and out (and curious) error made by both Burton and
Dawood. As previously noted, he approves of Burton's explanation of "meat
pudding" (and makes no negative comment about the term itself). For the most
part, he simply points out where he is not sure what Burton meant and
offers  alternate interpretations or expands on each term.

Nowhere does he suggest that either Burton or Dawood "made things up" nor
is he in the least dismissive of their translations overall. To the
contrary, he  examines them in a meticulous and respectful way. He is offering
additional  insight into them, not in any sense demolishing them.

I have no doubt that if one prowls the Internet looking for bogus
translations, one will find them. This is why I typically do searches on Google
Books - that is, on a corpus of scans of edited and published works - rather
than beginning with general Web searches. But the sources I originally passed
on  - the ones which began this whole discussion - clearly represent
serious efforts  by dedicated individuals working within the limits of their time.

We owe these scholars of an earlier time the same respect paid them by
Charles Perry himself. A respect one can hope will be granted to Perry when
future researchers with access to sources as yet unknown to any of us cast new
 light on his own work.

Jim  Chevallier
_www.chezjim.com_ (http://www.chezjim.com/)

Beyond Apicius (2):  recipes from other Roman sources
_http://leslefts.blogspot.com/2014/05/beyond-apicius-2-recipes-from-other.ht
ml_
(http://leslefts.blogspot.com/2014/04/beyond-wine-water-and-beer-what-else.html)

In a message dated 5/13/2014 4:38:40 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,