[Sca-cooks] Boxwood spoons

Susan Lord Williams lordhunt at gmail.com
Wed May 14 16:41:03 PDT 2014

On May 14, 2014, at 6:50 PM, sca-cooks-request at lists.ansteorra.org wrote:

>   2. Re: Metal Poisoning from the fork (JIMCHEVAL at aol.com)

> On Wed, May 14, 2014 at 12:31 PM, <JIMCHEVAL at aol.com> wrote:
>
>> Sorry, I missed this.
>>
>> Spoons were made with whatever a particular  person could afford. When St.
>> Remy left spoons engraved with his own name in his  will, we can be pretty
>> sure these were made of metal (probably silver).
>>
>> I have no doubt many spoons were made of wood. Boxwood? I've never seen
>> that written anywhere. May I ask the source for that?

My sources are:

boj, OCast box, L. Buxus sempervirens, Eng. boxwood, wood from some 30 species of the Buxaceae family including box trees, shrubby evergreen plants and other fine grained, hard and heavy woods. The tree is a native of the Mediterranean and grows to some 20 feet in height. The wood is light yellow or white and used for making musical instruments and spoons. See buxedo. [Gázquez. Cocina. 2002:37:ftn 82:78:ftn 158:80]

 buxedo, boxwood spoons. They were common in Andalusia by the 13th C. for eating porridge. From the 13-15 C, boxwood spoons were incorporated into dining utensils in the rest of Spain.  [Gázquez. Cocina.  2002:37:ftn 82:78:158:ftn 80]

Misc. Conversations. Alberto Oliart. Nov 20, 01; and Villena/Calero. 2002:23a]