[Sca-cooks] Any favorite lamb recipes?

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at gmail.com
Wed May 28 21:38:27 PDT 2014

I got a lamb breast/side at my local grocery this past Sunday, for $2-3/pound. They also had chunks of leg of lamb for $5/pound. Since even the ground lamb is often 8 or more dollars/pound here, I ended up buying the breast. Basically ribs with a slab of attached meat on the package I bought, where the ribs were getting smaller and smaller.

Maybe I should have bought the leg, since it was still less than much of the beef currently?

The lamb breast is US, but the lamb leg chunks were products of New Zealand.

Any suggestions on how best to cook it? Either modern or period recipes. As I said, I seldom see lamb here, much less at a reasonable price.

I still have to look at my own Florilegium file lamb-mutton-msg, but I'm interested in what others day here as well. Unlike game meat, it seems to have a fair amount of fat. But have rib sections, does that mean it's going to bit a bit tough and needs to be slow cooked for a while?  Should I go light on the seasoning?

I don't know if my wife will even try it, but we'll see. At least it is a chance for me to try some lamb. (technically probably young mutton, but the store labels it as lamb.)

Thanks,
   Stefan
--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at gmail.com