[Sca-cooks] Any favorite lamb recipes?

JIMCHEVAL at aol.com JIMCHEVAL at aol.com
Wed May 28 23:15:49 PDT 2014

Indeed. I don't even know if you can get it any other way in France.

Personally, I've always found garlic (lots and lots of garlic) enough.
Herbes de Provence are also pretty much made to order for it. You can always
make the lamb with those and serve them with string beans brushed with garlic
 and olive oil.

Otherwise, if you'd like a hint from Anthimus:

"Mutton  used frequently is suitable, either in the simple juices, or in
roasting it cook  it far from the flame. For if it is near the fire, the meat
will be burned  outside and the inside become raw, and it can harm more than
help. But as I have  said [cook it] far away and for a long time, so that
it becomes as if steamed,  and while roasting season it with salt mixed with
wine, spread with a  feather.
The meat of a lamb, or from a kid is best,  whichever you wish, either
steamed or boiled in the juices. And they are also  good roasted."
My own redaction of the first uses a lamb  chop but other forms of it
should work:
"This assumes the use  of a broiler at the bottom of a stove, made to be
used with the door partly  open.

1 lamb chop
2 tablespoons of salt
1/4 cup red wine
    1.  Mix the salt into the red wine.
Place the lamp chop towards a front corner of the broiler pan.
Brush it with the red wine using a pastry brush.
Leaving the broiler door slightly more open than usual, start broiling it.

Baste regularly with the mixture.
After ten minutes, turn it over and baste the opposite side.
Continue basting regularly for ten more minutes or until  done."

Of course, if you'd rather be English, you can just boil it to death and
have it with mint jelly.

Jim Chevallier
_www.chezjim.com_ (http://www.chezjim.com/)

Fairs and markets in  France from the Gauls to the Halles
_http://leslefts.blogspot.com/2014/05/fairs-and-markets-in-france-from-gauls
.html_
(http://leslefts.blogspot.com/2014/04/beyond-wine-water-and-beer-what-else.html)

In a message dated 5/28/2014 11:02:21 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,