[Sca-cooks] Buttermilk?

Donna Green donnaegreen at yahoo.com
Thu May 29 08:52:06 PDT 2014

Can any of you think of any period recipes that call for buttermilk? ... not the stuff in the carton in US grocery stores ... the liquid left over from the butter making process. I re-use small amounts of the buttermilk for the next batch of butter and have used it as a culture in my cheesemaking, but before I take the accumulated excess and make a batch of oatmeal pancakes, I thought I'd ask if there was a period use for it. Don't worry, there will also be pancakes :-)

Oh, and Stefan ... as my mother in law says, eat more lamb, fifty million American coyotes can't be wrong :-)

Juana Isabella
West