[Sca-cooks] Obscene medieval pastries

JIMCHEVAL at aol.com JIMCHEVAL at aol.com
Wed Nov 12 19:30:22 PST 2014

Such a LITERAL mind, Stefan. :)

My guess  (Taillevent isn't what you'd call detail-oriented) is that it was
the same dough  used to make pasties, just lengthened and split.

For fried  cream:

"For Fried Cream
Take cream and boil and then white bread  broken into small crumbs and put
it in the cream, or a large quantity of  crumbled wafers and put with the
cream. Take egg yolks stirred in with the milk  and cream, and boil it all
together. Add a large quantity of sugar, and salt to  taste"

So, literally, fried cream. Medieval cooks loved this sort of  paradox.

Jim Chevallier
www.chezjim.com

The shifting phases of  French bread  history
http://leslefts.blogspot.com/2014/10/the-shifting-phases-of-french-bread.htm

In  a message dated 11/12/2014 5:34:28 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,