[Sca-cooks] Help with Italian word - can't find translation.

Rebecca Friedman rebeccaanne3 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 13 23:15:23 PST 2014

Does anyone have any idea what the word "tengato" might mean? It's from Due
Libre di Cucina, theoretically in Italian, practically in an Italian
dialect with some Latin sprinkled in, and the context is "Tolli lo tengato
de qualunca tu voy, et tolli agmandole et çençauro et çennamo, la melgliore
che tu poy avere, et garofani alquanti et nuci moscate et uno poco de
saffarano, et queste cose fa bene mestecare et pistale..." which I
translate as "take the tengato of whatever you want, and take almonds and
ginger and cinnamon, the best that you can have, and spice some with cloves
and nutmeg and a little saffron, and mix these things well, and grind
them..." It's to make a sauce. I've consulted all my Italian dictionaries,
tried spelling variations, and tried searching google books for the word in
context, and what I've found is that "tengato" is occasionally a past
participle of the verb "tenere", which means "to hold", which is only so
helpful. Anyone have an idea what might be going on here?

Thanks!
Rebecca