[Sca-cooks] date vinegar

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at gmail.com
Mon Nov 17 17:24:56 PST 2014

< It's not my area of expertise either, but I wonder if date vinegar
would be appropriate.

Ranvaig >

<<< Looks like a good call.  After a little checking, apparently vinegar from
dates and from raisins is common in the Middle East.  A source speaks to the
mildness of raisin vinegar.

Bear >>>

My initial reaction was “why?”, but date juice is sweet and would/could turn into vinegar.

Where would you find/buy date vinegar here in the US? It’s not something I’ve noticed in the Middle Eastern/ethnic food stores I’ve been in. But then, it is quite likely I’ve overlooked it not knowing how or why I would use it.

Stefan
who does have a collection of various different vinegars after hearing about them on this list. Probably too expensive to use in Sekanjabn, but I’d think it would affect the flavor and be the vinegar commonly used in Sekanjabn, where it is from. Or is a different vinegar more likely in Persia?
--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at gmail.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris