[Sca-cooks] Wine vinegar in medieval Islamic cuisine

Galefridus Peregrinus galefridus at optimum.net
Wed Nov 19 13:35:19 PST 2014

Yeah, that's where it was. But I also did a bit of web surfing through
the hadith and found the actual quote, together with a number of
discussions of the question by Islamic scholars. The quote can be found
here:

http://www.theonlyquran.com/hadith/Sahih-Muslim/?volume=23&chapter=28

However, there exists another hadith telling the story of some orphans
who had inherited a quantity of wine. One leader suggested that it could
be made into vinegar, but Prophet forbade this and commanded that the
wine be poured out.

I found a fascinating discussion citing both hadiths and attempting to
reconcile them at:

http://en.islamtoday.net/artshow-381-3282.htm

-- Galefridus