[Sca-cooks] Mother of Vinegar

Daniel And elizabeth phelps dephelps at embarqmail.com
Thu Nov 20 10:04:23 PST 2014

Hmmm...the mother in my vinegar is a cloudy translucent mass floating near the bottom of the bottle.  ----- Original Message -----
From: "Aruvqan" <aruvqan at gmail.com>
To: "Cooks within the SCA" <sca-cooks at lists.ansteorra.org>
Sent: Thursday, November 20, 2014 12:26:09 PM
Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] Mother of Vinegar

Upon the Mother of Vinegar ...

Lo these many years ago, we lived in the house built by my Great
Grandfather back in 1895. It was a lovely Victorian, with18 rooms, a
full finished attic and a full basement. In the basement was a vinegar
barrel, that one dumped 40 or 45 gallons of apple cider in every fall,
and about a month later could start tapping out cider vinegar. As long
as you did not tap out the last two or three gallons, you had a lovely
tart vinegar. If you took the top off the barrel off, there was a white
sort of cthulhuan mass floating around. This was the Mother. As long as
you feed her cider [or wine, if that is your pleasure, but in a
different barrel please] you get out vinegar. It is the gift that keeps
on giving, like those little yeast friends of the eternal loaves of
bread, or really good Belgian beers.

So yes at one point in time until the barrel accidentally got let dry
out and a mouse nibbled its way in through the side I had vinegar that
was theoretically started in 1895. [The barrel died about 20 years ago,
before I could manage to get to my grandparents cottage and steal it
from the new owners =( ]

So in answer to your question, the little mother will keep on turning
fresh liquid into vinegar as long as you keep feeding it. I would
recommend getting one o those 2 gallon clear jugs with the little tap in
the bottom, place it in view proudly and keep putting apple juice or a
specific color and type of wine in, and tap it off a couple cups at a
time all year long. Keep your 'use' vinegar in a lovely cut crystal
cruet and enjoy.

On 11/20/2014 4:12 AM, Stefan li Rous wrote:
> Also, I can’t tell if you just get one batch for each bottle of mother, or not. If so, that would make it a lot more expensive than buying ‘live’ vinegar.

---