[Sca-cooks] Almond Mil

JIMCHEVAL at aol.com JIMCHEVAL at aol.com
Sun Nov 30 13:31:04 PST 2014

Here's the Menagier's version:

"Parboil and peel your almonds, then put them in cold water, then pound
them and moisten with water in which onions have been cooked and strain
through  a strainer: then fry onions, and put in a little salt, and boil on the
fire,  then put in the sops. And if you make almond milk for the sick, do not
put in  onions, or instead of the water of onions to moisten as is said
above, put in  and soak them with warm water and boil, and put in no salt, but a
great deal of  sugar. And if you want to make some to drink, strain through
the strainer or two  cloths, and a great deal of sugar to drink."
_http://books.google.com/books?id=ePY5AAAAcAAJ&dq=inauthor%3Apichon%20menagi
er%20lait&pg=PA241#v=onepage&q&f=false_
(http://books.google.com/books?id=ePY5AAAAcAAJ&dq=inauthor:pichon%20menagier%20lait&pg=PA241#v=onepage&q&f=false
)

Jim  Chevallier
_www.chezjim.com_ (http://www.chezjim.com/)

Newly translated  from Pierre Jean-Baptiste Le Grand d'Aussy:

Bread,  Pastry and Sweets in Old Regime France
https://www.createspace.com/5069278
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OJZKRTQ

In a message dated 11/30/2014 1:22:41 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
lordhunt at gmail.com writes:

>  Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2014 17:47:56 -0800
> From: "Laura C. Minnick"  <lcm at jeffnet.org>
>
> On 11/23/2014 3:25 PM, Susan Lord  Williams wrote:
>> I don?t trust store bought almond  milk.
>>
>> The Andalusian way is simple. Its ground peeled  raw almonds. Add
chicken or meat broth and strained through a cheesecloth. If  I don?t have broth,
I mix water and a bouillon cube. With a food processor to  grind the almonds
its speedy.
>> Every week, I have recipes calling  for it so I would be terribly
limited if I didn?t use recipes calling for  almond milk.

> I think it is fairly safe to say that almond  milk in period is generally
> *not* made with broth, as it is most  often seen in Lenten/fast day
> recipes, and those days preclude meat  products. Which includes broth.
>
> Liutgard
>> I  write:
> Quite the contrary, almond milk was made with fish broth on  fi_sh days.
I don’t know how many recipes I have published in my blog that  include
almond milk but if you search this I think you will find that all as  of to date
include a meat broth. I am talking Sent Soví, Nola, Al-Andalus 13th
century and Fadalat as my subject is Spanish. By meat I mean fish, poultry and
four legged animals.

My blog is: http://www.medievalspanishchef.com/

Sca-cooks  mailing  list
Sca-cooks at lists.ansteorra.org