[Sca-cooks] Parsnips

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Sun Oct 5 16:14:26 PDT 2014

If he's got documentation on that, I want to see it.

To my knowledge, the earliest reference to producing a sweet syrup from
carrots and red beets is found in Olivier de Serres just at the end of the
16th Century.  I don't recall parsnips being involved.  Cane sugar was
better than anything Serres could produce, so his work is essentially a one
off cooking experiment.

Andreas Sigismund Marggraf performed experiments to produce sugar with white
beets in 1747, but his work was not commercial in nature.  His student Franz
Karl Achard began selective breeding of white beets about 35 years later.
Achard improved the sugar content of the beets to the point commercial sugar
production was possible.  The first beet sugar plant opened in 1801.
Commercial beet sugar became viable when Napoleon was cut off from West
Indian sugar.

There is some possibility that parsnips were used to produce a sweetener in
the early American colonies when cane sugar was unavailable, but I haven't
found a verifiable reference.  Other than that, the references I find for
parsnips being used to produce a sweetener are all modern and make a flat
statement without supporting reference.  I suspect an initial Victorian
source copied without consideration of its factual basis.  I'll look a
little further later.

Bear