[Sca-cooks] Rice in al-Warraq (was: Side Dishes for al-Warraq)

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Tue Sep 2 17:43:46 PDT 2014

Looked through roughly a quarter of the recipes indexed under rice. Harisa recipe on page 238 calls for cooking rice in water. Then add leeks....
Qiba on page 245 calls for a small amount of rice in a stuffed tripe.
Rice porridge on page 256 calls for white rice rinsed three times. Stir until cooked rice is crushed. Rice porridges on page 261 call for whole rice again.
Page 262 has a poem that talks about white rice being cooked to perfection. More rice recipes on 262 and 263.
Ground rice is specified in the harisa on 257 and harisa kanuniyya on 258.

It seems to me they used whole rice at least in these.

Johnnae