[Sca-cooks] Side Dishes for al-Warraq

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 4 15:45:14 PDT 2014

Johnna wrote:
> I suppose part of the questions regarding serving plain rice relate to the practicality of serving a feast
> based upon al-Warraq and expecting that it be eaten in the authentic manner of everyone at a table dipping
> their hands into a common bowl and sharing the food in such a manner. (Women and children should be
> authenticly excluded of course, right?)

Right, unless you have singing and/or dancing girls... :-)

> Given how feasts are paid for and served in the Society and with the multitude of diners demanding
> vegetarian or vegan options, serving plain rice might be a desired option anyway, whether or not it is the
> rice cooked to perfection.

It seems to me, given what we know, that NO rice whatsoever would make far more sense and be far more accurate, if one desires some modicum of historical accuracy. Eat the food on individual plates as we are used to, and provide varieties of flat breads (lavash, naan, etc.).

Urtatim