[Sca-cooks] Why bother to import the cheap stuff?

JIMCHEVAL at aol.com JIMCHEVAL at aol.com
Thu Sep 4 22:28:11 PDT 2014

The Romans certainly imported lesser quality versions of some foods.
Martial writes of "unsavory Toulouse cheese" and disparages the tuna fish of
Antibes, which were used to make a lesser quality of garum (usually made with
mackerel.)

Just as some very inferior French  wines find their way to the States
today, when there's a big demand for a luxury  product, there are often those
willing to accept a lesser version for a lesser  price. A good sauvignon blanc
is crisp and lemony; don't expect that experience  from Trader Joe's house
brands (except the Vina Chilenas, actually one of the  cheapest).

Jim  Chevallier
_www.chezjim.com_ (http://www.chezjim.com/)

Comparing prices in  medieval France
_http://leslefts.blogspot.com/2014/08/comparing-prices-in-medieval-france.ht
ml_ (http://leslefts.blogspot.com/2014/08/french-cities-of-dark-ages.html)

In a message dated 9/4/2014 10:02:53 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,