[Sca-cooks] Why bother to import the cheap stuff?

JIMCHEVAL at aol.com JIMCHEVAL at aol.com
Sat Sep 6 09:36:52 PDT 2014

In fact, as it turns out, the "unsavory" is one of those unfortunate
interpolations by a translator. The original simply refers to a "slice [or
square] of cheese from Toulouse":

http://books.google.com/books?id=LMB7N-TJio4C&pg=PA420&dq=Martial++cheese+qu
adra&hl=en&sa=X&ei=zjULVKWWCoHpoAT4qYGYAg&ved=0CD4Q6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q&f=fals

It's the context, a litany of unpleasant and, yes, unsavory things that
establishes the poor nature of this Gallic cheese.

Tangentially, there seems to be a whole sub-genre of literature of guests
whining about how they were received. The bishop-poet Fortunatus complains
in  one poem about how long he's been made to wait for his food. I'd bet
there's  something in Juvenal along the same lines.

Jim  Chevallier
_www.chezjim.com_ (http://www.chezjim.com/)

Comparing prices in  medieval France
_http://leslefts.blogspot.com/2014/08/comparing-prices-in-medieval-france.ht
ml_ (http://leslefts.blogspot.com/2014/08/french-cities-of-dark-ages.html)

In a message dated 9/6/2014 6:33:29 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
ranvaig at columbus.rr.com writes:

>The  Romans certainly imported lesser quality versions of some  foods.
>Martial writes of "unsavory Toulouse cheese"

That could  mean an aged cheese or even a blue cheese, not necessarily
lesser  quality.