[Sca-cooks] Carrots

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at gmail.com
Sun Sep 7 15:45:42 PDT 2014

<<< Last month my ordinary supermarket was selling packages of four
different colours of carrot, with the implication that they were
heritage.  If I remember correctly, there were white, red, and yellow,
as well as a couple of orange.  I don't know if they are still being sold.

Thorvald >>>

Unfortunately, “heritage” does not necessarily mean “period”.

Another consideration is that orange carrots became popular most likely because they were sweeter and had a better texture. So, for a food dish, just because a carrot isn’t orange doesn’t mean that the taste is closer to period. That other colored carrot may simply be a modern variant with the old color, but with the newer taste.

After tasting modern, orange carrots, I’m not sure the general populace (SCA and modern) will accept a different tasting carrot, even if it is a different color.

But other colored carrots can add a more medieval feel to a dish.

For a lot more carrot info:
carrots-msg (61K) 6/12/10 Medieval and period carrots. Colors.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-VEGETABLES/carrots-msg.html

Uh. oh. I’ve got about 90K of new material to add to this file. I will try to do that in the next few days.

Stefan
--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at gmail.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris