[Sca-cooks] Side Dishes for al-Warraq

Drew Shiel gothwalk at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 02:05:48 PDT 2014

On Sat, Sep 6, 2014 at 2:00 AM, David Friedman <ddfr at daviddfriedman.com>
wrote:

The soused eggplant would work as a side dish, and can be made long in
> advance—I brought some to Pennsic. Possibly with crumbly crackers or bread
> of Abu Hamsa to eat it on.

  Makable in advance is a strong point in favour, it has to be said.

> My daughter was head cook a while ago for a feast largely from al-Warraq.
> One thing she did was khall wa zayt, which is a cold vegetable dish to be
> served with chicken. We also did "A cold dish of dressed carrots" (p. 228)
> and it was quite good.
>
> You could try "A recipe for white beans" (p. 295.)
>
> You could try one of the baridas of beans (pp, 233-4). I think they are
> intended to be done with fresh favas, which I've been sometimes able to get
> but you may not be. I'm not sure how well they would work with dried favas,
> but you could experiment. There are two more baridas of fava beans on pp.
> 229-30 that turned out pretty well when we tried them. But skinning the
> beans was a bit of a nuisance.

  These are excellent recommendations, thank you! I don't think I'll be
able to get fresh fava beans here, although I'll enquire with some of the
suppliers and see what could be mustered. If not, I'll try dried in
advance, and see how that comes out.

  Le meas,
  Aodh

--
http://about.me/drewshiel
"Luck affects everything. Let your hook always be cast; in the stream where