[Sca-cooks] Side Dishes for al-Warraq

Drew Shiel gothwalk at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 02:13:29 PDT 2014

On Sat, Sep 6, 2014 at 9:03 PM, <lilinah at earthlink.net> wrote:

I would suggest that no rice be served at the feast unless it is in one of
> the aforementioned dishes. Clearly rice topped with another dish was not
> part of the dining of the elite in the 9th and 10th centuries. Don't give
> in to a modern stereotype.

  I shall try to construct the meal around bread, then - and I should be
able to get naans and other more authentic styles of bread reasonably
easily. I reckon people will cope without rice.

  On a related topic, is there any feeling as to whether dishes should come
out in several courses, or all be brought out at once? I get the feeling
from some of the accompanying prose and poetry in al-Warraq that all at
once (maybe with some of the bazmaward "sandwiches" as a taster a little
before the rest), with sweeter things to follow, is acceptable for the
period.

  Le meas,
  Aodh

--
http://about.me/drewshiel
"Luck affects everything. Let your hook always be cast; in the stream where